Looking for the best hosting for your WordPress site?
With the huge success of WordPress, many hosting providers have popped up with specific hosting offers geared towards WordPress users. These hosting packages include specific features that streamline things for WordPress users and offer WordPress-specific tweaks and optimizations.
In this article, we’ll get into what those offers usually include, their advantages and disadvantages, and who the best WordPress hosts are. The hosts we compare are:
Best WordPress Hosting 2017
If you’re looking for a quick summary of which we think are the best WordPress Hosting in 2016, use this quick summary table – we have also included coupon codes so you get a discount on your chosen host. Otherwise, dig in below for more details.
|Price||$16.92 Per Month||$3.49 Per Month||$3.95 Per Month|
|Caching||Ever Cache||Cache plugin||Super Cacher|
30% Off & 2 Free Months
No Code Needed
No Code Needed
|Get Hosting||Get Hosting||Get Hosting|
What is WordPress hosting?
WordPress hosting comes in two forms: regular hosting and managed hosting. The specific features you’ll get depends on which you choose. Managed offers many more features, but at a higher price tag. It usually includes built-in speed optimizations like caching and CDNs, automatic upgrades, specific WordPress security tweaks, and more.
Regular WordPress hosting still includes things like one-click installs and some other optimizations but typically lacks the full list of features offered by managed WordPress hosts. Regular WordPress hosting is also a heckuva lot cheaper than managed WordPress hosting, though.
If you don’t mind handling things like caching and security yourself, then regular WordPress hosting will provide you with basic WordPress-specific features at a much lower price than managed WordPress hosting.
Advantages of WordPress hosting
One-click installs or pre-installed WordPress – no matter if it’s regular or managed WordPress hosting, both make it extremely easy to install WordPress and get started building your site.
Great support – when you go with WordPress hosting, you’ll usually have access to support from WordPress experts, instead of hosting generalists.
Speed and security improvements – if you go with a managed WordPress host, they’ll automatically handle optimizing your site’s speed with things like server-level caching and CDNs. They’ll also make sure everything stays safe with security features like malware scans and intrusion detection.
Easy plan upgrades – Most regular and managed WordPress hosts make it easy to upgrade your hosting to scale alongside your website. As your site grows, you can upgrade your hosting to grow with it.
WordPress updates – All managed hosts and some regular hosts will automatically update your WordPress so that you’re always running the latest version.
Disadvantages of WordPress hosting
The price of managed hosting – if you go with a managed host, you’ll definitely be paying a premium for the features they offer when compared with a regular WordPress host. Most regular WordPress hosts don’t cost much more than normal shared hosting.
Best WordPress hosts comparison
WPEngine is one of the biggest managed WordPress hosts around. They exclusively offer managed hosting, so you know where their focus is. Their hosting is optimized to boost your WordPress site’s speed and security. They also offer 24/7 expert WordPress support and plans that scale as your site grows.
- WordPress staging area – you can easily preview any changes to your themes or plugins before pushing them to your live site. This helps you avoid breaking things.
- Evercache – WPEngine’s built-in proprietary Evercache system boosts your site speed without the need for plugins
- Security – multiple firewalls and malware protection keep your site safe from malicious attacks.
- One-click restore points – if anything does happen to your site, you can quickly restore it to a time when it worked properly with a single click.
- 24/7 expert support – WPEngine’s USA-based WordPress experts are available 24/7
- Speed report – get detailed performance reports and recommendations for any page on your site
- CDN integration – it’s easy to integrate your site with a CDN on WPEngine
WPEngine’s personal plan is $29 per month. That includes 1 website and 25,000 visits per month. More heavy-duty plans go up in price from there.
Bluehost is a popular provider offering regular WordPress hosting. Their plans are affordable while still including basic WordPress-specific features like one-click installs. They’re also on the official wordpress.org list of recommended WordPress hosts. Whenever you sign up for one of their hosting plans, you’ll get a free domain name as a bonus.
- Unlimited bandwidth/storage – Bluehost gives you as much space and data transfer as you need.
- One-click WordPress installation – it’s easy to install WordPress and get started.
- 24/7 expert support – get help whenever you need it with 24/7 expert support.
- Easy plan upgrades – as your site grows, you can easily upgrade your Bluehost plan to match it.
- Enhanced cpanel – Bluehost offers a custom interface built on cpanel to make managing your website and email a breeze.
Bluehost’s most affordable plan starts at $3.49 per month and includes a free domain name. Prices go up from there.
SiteGround offers feature-packed managed WordPress hosting at one of the cheapest prices available. Their plans come close to the price of regular WordPress hosting while still offering the benefits of managed hosting. Just keep in mind that their cheapest plan doesn’t include all of the managed features that the slightly more expensive plans offer. They’re still one of the best options when you consider how many features they offer for their price.
SiteGround is also on the wordpress.org list of recommended hosting companies.
- Automatic upgrades – SiteGround automatically updates your WordPress core so that you’re always running the latest version
- SuperCacher – SiteGround’s SuperCacher gives you 3 levels of caching to make your site blazing fast
- WordPress staging area – easily preview changes to plugins or themes before you make them live
- One-click installer – install WordPress with the click of a button
- Multiple data centers – choose from data centers on 3 different continents
- 24/7 support – get 24/7 support from WordPress experts. SiteGround is known for their incredibly fast ticket response times.
SiteGround’s cheapest plan starts at $9.95. Note – the cheapest plan doesn’t include the SuperCacher or staging area features. You’ll need to get a slightly more expensive plan to enjoy those features.
InMotion Hosting offers excellent budget hosting for WordPress sites. They don’t offer any managed features but make up for their absence with incredibly affordable pricing. They also include their proprietary BoldGrid system to make it easy for you to build your site.
InMotion Hosting Features:
- BoldGrid system – InMotion’s proprietary BoldGrid system helps you build your site with an easy drag and drop editor
- Pre-installed WordPress – WordPress is pre-installed on all of InMotion’s plans
- Safe updates – easily roll back your site to a previous version if anything goes wrong during an update
- 24/7 support – InMotion Hosting offers 24/7/365 support from USA-based support staff
InMotion Hosting Pricing:
InMotion Hosting’s cheapest plan is $4.89 per month. It includes a free domain name.
A2 Hosting is another budget WordPress host. They don’t offer full managed features, but all their plans come with WordPress pre-installed so you can start working on your site right away. Their servers are optimized for WordPress speed and some of their higher plans include their Turbo Server technology which can boost speed by up to 20X.
A2 Hosting Features:
- Automatic upgrades – A2 Hosting automatically keeps your WordPress up-to-date, which is a feature usually reserved for managed hosts.
- Pre-installed WordPress – all plans already have WordPress installed.
- Custom WordPress login URL – protect your site from hackers with an automatic custom login URL
- Malware monitoring – Hackscan monitoring protects your site from malware.
- A2 Optimized – A2 optimizes all their plans for free.
- 24/7/365 Guru Crew Support – support is always available.
A2 Hosting Pricing:
A2 Hosting’s cheapest plan is $3.92 per month for a single website.
Arvixe offers quality WordPress hosting at an affordable price. All their plans come with a free domain name and pre-installed WordPress, making it a cinch to create your site. If you already have a WordPress site hosted somewhere else, they’ll transfer it over for free.
- Optimized servers – Arvixe’s servers are optimized for WordPress so you get the best speeds possible
- Pre-installed and configured WordPress – WordPress is already installed and configured so you can jump right in.
- Scalable hosting – It’s easy to scale your hosting package as your website grows.
- 24/7 Support – Arvixe’s USA-based support team is available whenever you need it.
Arvixe starts at $4 per month, which includes a free domain name.
If you’re planning to launch a WordPress site, it makes sense to go with a host that’s already optimized for WordPress. Both regular and managed WordPress hosts are great options. If you’re looking to save money, regular hosting is an excellent solution. It includes all the basic WordPress features you need at an affordable price.
If you don’t want to worry about things like caching and security, then you may want to consider one of the managed WordPress hosts instead. They’ll handle most of the technical details of your WordPress site so that you can focus on other things like content and marketing.