Is budget WordPress hosting for you?
If you’re just getting started and don’t need a ton of bells and whistles, budget hosting should be more than enough for your WordPress site. Budget hosting is a great option to use until your site starts getting more popular, as long as you’re willing and able to handle things like updates and security by yourself.
If you can’t wait, you can skip to read about each hosting company covered with these links or view our best hosts table below.
Best Budget WordPress Hosting 2017
|Price||$7.95 Per Month||$3.49 Per Month||$3.95 Per Month|
|Caching||OPcache||Cache plugin||Super Cacher|
|Get Hosting||Get Hosting||Get Hosting|
If you’re looking for a quick summary of which we think are the best WordPress Budget Hosting in 2016, use this quick summary table, otherwise, dig in below for more details.
What is budget WordPress hosting?
Budget WordPress hosting is usually shared hosting that’s much less expensive than most managed WordPress hosting alternatives. In shared hosting, your website is hosted on the same server as other people’s websites. By pooling the server’s resources, budget hosting companies are able to offer rock-bottom prices.
Budget WordPress hosting differs from regular shared hosting in that it still includes some WordPress-specific features like one-click installs or pre-installed WordPress.
If you’re just getting started, you probably don’t need the full resources of a dedicated server, so shared hosting has more than enough power for you. There’s no point spending extra money on more power than you need. As you grow, most providers make it easy to upgrade to more powerful hosting to scale with your website.
So, if you’re just getting started, definitely consider saving some money and choosing one of these top-rated budget WordPress hosts.
Advantages of budget WordPress hosting
Affordable – the major advantage of budget WordPress hosting is its cost. You can get plans for less than $4 per month. Yes, that cheap. You really can host your WordPress site for a month for the same amount you spend on a latte at Starbucks.
One-click installs – most budget hosts will still let you install WordPress with just one click, which makes it super easy for you to get started. Some even come with WordPress already installed.
Good support – the hosting companies we’ve chosen don’t skimp on support just because you’re on a budget plan. You can still get great general support, even if they’re not always specifically WordPress experts.
Easy upgrades – most companies make it easy to upgrade to more powerful hosting options as your site grows. You’re never locked into your shared plan.
Disadvantages of budget WordPress hosting
Speed – though most will offer unlimited bandwidth, if you’re running a popular website you’ll need dedicated resources to maximize your site speed. If your site is brand new, you’ll probably still be ok, though.
Shared memory – because you’re on a shared server, your site is sharing the server’s memory with every other site on that server. If those sites use up too much memory, your site’s performance could suffer for a bit.
Limited WordPress specific features – whereas managed WordPress hosting provides lots of WordPress specific features like upgrades, backups, and security, most budget WordPress hosts don’t provide any of these services. You’re often trading a lower cost for fewer features. With that being said, some budget hosts do still offer automatic upgrades and some other features.
Best Budget WordPress Hosts Comparison
Bluehost is one of the biggest and longest-lasting hosting providers out there. They host a massive two million plus websites. They’re also on the wordpress.org recommended hosts list, which further adds to their reputation. As a bonus, you can get a free domain name when you sign up for one of their hosting plans.
- Unlimited bandwidth/storage – Bluehost lets you store and use as much data as you need.
- 24/7 expert support – Bluehost offers 24/7 expert support via phone, email, and live chat
- 1-click WordPress installation – no need to fiddle around setting things up.
- Easy scalability – whenever you need more space, you can upgrade your account with a single click.
- Enhanced cpanel – Bluehost offers an enhanced interface built on cpanel to make it easy to manage your website and email
Bluehost’s cheapest plan starts at $3.49 per month and includes a free domain name.
SiteGround is a bit of an anomaly in that they offer managed WordPress hosting for the price most hosts charge for unmanaged hosting. Their cheapest plan doesn’t offer 100% of the features available in their more expensive managed plans, but even the cheapest plan does include some managed features for a very affordable cost.
Like Bluehost, it’s also an official wordpress.org recommended hosting company.
- 1-click install – SiteGround lets you install WordPress with a single click.
- Free migrations – if you’re already hosting your site somewhere else, SiteGround will transfer it over for free.
- Automatic upgrades – Even on the cheapest plan, SiteGround will automatically keep your WordPress core up-to-date.
- 24/7 support – SiteGround’s WordPress experts are known for responding incredibly quickly. Responses to support tickets in under 10 minutes are not uncommon.
- Multiple data centers – SiteGround lets you pick from data centers on 3 different continents.
- SuperCacher – 3 levels of caching to make sure your site runs blazing fast. This feature isn’t available on their cheapest plan.
- WordPress staging area – you can preview any changes to your themes or plugins before you publish them to your live site. This feature isn’t available on their cheapest plan.
SiteGround’s cheapest plan starts at $3.95 per month ($9.95 per month after the promotional period). It includes a free domain name.
Again, this plan doesn’t include all features, but it does have many aspects of managed hosting for a very affordable price.
InMotion Hosting offers budget hosting for WordPress sites. All their hosting packages come with a free domain name and WordPress pre-installed. You can get started building your site right away with their BoldGrid system.
InMotion Hosting Features:
- Pre-installed WordPress – no need to even click a button – WordPress comes pre-installed.
- Free BoldGrid system – BoldGrid helps you easily build your site with a drag and drop editor
- Safe updates – BoldGrid also makes upgrading your site safe – you can always roll back to a previous version if something goes wrong.
- 24/7 support – InMotion offers 24/7/365 support from staff located in the USA.
InMotion Hosting Pricing:
InMotion Hosting’s plans start at $4.89 per month and include a free domain name.
A2 Hosting offers budget WordPress hosting that comes with WordPress pre-installed. Their servers are optimized for speed and some of their higher priced plans offer an additional 20x speed with their Turbo Server option.
A2 Hosting Features:
- Pre-installed WordPress – WordPress comes pre-installed for your site so you can get started right away
- Automatic updates – A2 Hosting automatically keeps your WordPress up-to-date. This feature is fairly unique for budget hosts.
- Custom WordPress login URL – A2 Hosting automatically gives you a custom login URL to protect your site from hackers.
- A2 Optimized – All shared plans are optimized for speed.
- Malware monitoring – A2 Hosting offers their Hackscan service for free.
- 24/7/365 Guru Crew Support – get expert help whenever you need it.
A2 Hosting Pricing:
A2 Hosting starts at just $3.92 per month for a single website.
Arvixe is another affordable option for hosting your WordPress website. Their plans are optimized for WordPress and come with a free domain name and pre-installed WordPress to get you started quickly and affordably. They’ll also transfer your website for free if you’re currently hosting it somewhere else.
- Optimized servers – Arvixe’s servers are optimized to maximize site speed for WordPress.
- Scalable hosting – it’s easy to upgrade to a bigger package as your site grows.
- Pre-installed and configured WordPress – your site comes with WordPress already installed and configured.
- 24/7 Support – get help whenever you need it with Arvixe’s 24/7 US-based support team
Arvixe’s hosting plans start at $4 per month and include a free domain name for life. They also offer a 60-day money back guarantee.
Founded in 1997, DreamHost is another long-established host who has moved into the WordPress game. They offer an affordable shared WordPress hosting plan, as well as a more expensive managed plan. Since we’re discussing budget hosts, we’ll be looking exclusively at their affordable shared plan.
- One-click WordPress install – DreamHost makes it easy to install WordPress with a single click
- Automatic updates – all DreamHost’s WordPress plans include automatic updates. Again, this is fairly unique for a budget host.
- Unlimited plugins and themes – use whatever plugins and themes you want. No restrictions.
- 24/7 WordPress support – DreamHost is available with expert WordPress help whenever you need it.
DreamHost’s cheapest WordPress hosting plan starts at $7.95 per month.
Budget WordPress hosting is a great option for anyone starting their site. Until your site gets popular, it really doesn’t need high-powered managed hosting. As your site grows, you can always update your hosting to scale with it.
Additionally, cheap WordPress hosting still offers some WordPress-specific features like one-click installs and automatic updates (sometimes). You’ll never get the total luxury of managed WordPress hosting, but, for the price, you can still get some great deals.
Our pick of the best hosting companies for people on a budget are Bluehost, Dreamhost or Siteground. All these companies are long established and reliable hosts with a great track record of customer service.